When Was Land Rover Founded?
In 1948 Land Rover made its first appearance, however, it began as the name of a model series under the Rover Company. The Rover Company was founded in Warwickshire, England in 1885 and was originally a bicycle manufacturer. You can find out more about Land Rover history and origins below, if you have any more questions you can contact Land Rover Paramus near Saddle River for all of your additional Land Rover needs!
Land Rover Model Series Origins
Chairman Maurice Wilks created the original Land Rover design in 1947 while an engineer at the Rover Company. Wilks worked on the model on his farm in Wales, along with his brother Spencer. Here are some things that you may not know about the original Land Rover model:
- The prototype Land Rover was built on a Jeep axle and chassis.
- Early Land Rover colors were limited–models were only available in variations of army green due to military surplus of auto paint after World War II.
- The Land Rover model was officially released at the Amsterdam Motor Show on April 30, 1948.
Land Rover Company Timeline
- 1967: Rover Company becomes Rover Triumph, as part of Leyland Motors (later British Leyland Motors).
- 1970: The Range Rover model is introduced.
- 1976: The one millionth Land Rover is produced.
- 1978: Land Rover Limited becomes its own company under British Leyland Motors, 30 years after the creation of the first Land Rover model.
- 1987: The Range Rover is first released in the United States.
- 1989: the Land Rover Discovery is introduced.
- 1994: The Rover Group is acquired by BMW.
- 2000: The Rover Group is broken up by BMW and Land Rover is sold to Ford
- 2005: The Range Rover Sport comes on to the scene.
- 2007: The four millionth Land Rover is produced.
- 2008: Tata Motors based in Mumbai, India purchases Land Rover and Jaguar from Ford, and creates a new Jaguar Land Rover subsidiary.
- 2011: The Range Rover Evoque is first released.
- 2017: The Range Rover Velar is introduced in London.
- 2018: Land Rover announces the project Cortex which aims to “create self-propelled cars-robots that are able to independently navigate off-road in all weather conditions.”
Explore the Land Rover Brand at Land Rover Paramus
The Land Rover brand has much to offer to drivers today, including innovative InControl® technology, to extraordinary off-roading capabilities. Be sure to check our the latest Land Rover models for sale near Ridgewood so you can drive home in a model that is part of the Land Rover legacy.
More From Land Rover Paramus
The 2019 Land Rover Range Rover configurations offer up something for every need and preference, delivering Saddle River drivers with a plethora of exciting choices. From the HSE to Autobiography, discover which Range Rover trim level is right for you with this guide from Land Rover Paramus! Learn More View Inventory Range Rover Base Even with the base-level…
The 2019 Land Rover Discovery towing capacity gets up to 8,201 pounds and a max cargo capacity of 88.3 cubic feet, so you can take more with you in Englewood and Saddle River. With seating for up to seven passengers and features like a 10-speaker sound system and 10-inch color touchscreen, you can enjoy a luxury…
The 2019 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque interior is stylish and high-tech, which a wide range of advanced features for Saddle River drivers to enjoy. Explore the new Range Rover Evoque interior at Land Rover Paramus, then contact us for a test drive to experience it in person! Learn More View Inventory Comfort The Range Rover Evoque comes with a…